Tullamore & Birr Water Supply Schemes
€21.5 million investment in the Tullamore & Birr Water Supply Schemes will provide a safe and secure water supply to over 18,000 local residents and businesses.
Irish Water has awarded the contract for the design, construction and commissioning of water treatment plants and additional reservoirs for both the Birr and Tullamore Water Supply Schemes to Murphy Process Engineering Limited. Once completed the upgrade will secure the medium term future of the water supplies for 18,000 people in Tullamore & Birr and ensure both towns receive a reliable supply of high quality drinking water.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Safe and secure water supply to over 18,000 local residents and businesses
- Improved drinking water quality
- Reduced disruptions to supply
What is involved as part of this project?
- Water treatment plant at Ardan
- Groundwater sources at Ardan
- 2,500m³ treated water storage reservoir at Ardan
- Groundwater sources at Clonaslee
- Water treatment plant at Clonaslee, Co. Laois
- Camcor River abstraction and pumping infrastructure at Birr
- Water treatment plant at Birr
- 2,000m³ of treated water storage reservoir at Birr
What are the next steps?
- Works are due to commence in the coming weeks
- The works are primarily located in lands recently acquired by Irish Water from local landowners with little impact on public roads
- The Project Team will work closely with businesses and residents to minimise any potential disruption to local water supplies.
- The project is expected to be completed by 2020
- Tullamore and Birr, Co. Offaly