Saggart Reservoir Project
Irish Water is constructing a new reservoir in Saggart to improve security of supply to the Greater Dublin Area.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Dublin City Council and South Dublin County Council, is progressing upgrade works at the Saggart Reservoir. The current waterworks will be replaced with a new reservoir that will provide treated drinking water storage, building resilience in the water infrastructure for the Greater Dublin Area.
This €59 million investment includes the construction of 100 million litres covered treated water reservoir to store water supplied from Ballymore Eustace Water Treatment Plant and will improve security and resilience of supply to the Greater Dublin Area. Coffey Construction Ireland Limited are working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver this project.
What are the benefits of these works?
This is a significant project for the Greater Dublin Area. The new reservoir will have the capacity to store enough water to supply almost 300,000 homes with the water they need for one day, which will ensure a more resilient water supply for homes and businesses.
The works carried out as part of this project will:
- Increase the security and resilience of the drinking water supply to businesses and residents in the area.
- Facilitate future growth and development in southwest Dublin.
- Address the current and medium-term water supply demands of the Greater Dublin Area.
What is involved as part of this project?
The project includes the construction of:
- A 100 million litres covered treated water reservoir at the existing reservoir site in Saggart, equivalent to the size of 40 Olympic sized swimming pools
- A new electro chlorination plant and associated infrastructure.
- Construction of associated pipelines on site to connect to the new reservoir.
What is happening next?
Work on site started in March 2021 and is due to be finished by the end of 2023.
We are almost at the halfway point of the project. The inlet structure and reservoir floor are significantly complete, while construction of the reservoir walls recently commenced.
Irish Water has launched a new progress video to showcase how works are progressing on site as well as highlighting the scale of the works being undertaken. Check it out below: