Water Services Strategic Plan
Irish Water has published its Strategic Plan for Water Services in Ireland for the next quarter of a century.
Ireland’s first integrated national plan for the delivery of water services, the Water Services Strategic Plan (WSSP) addresses six key themes:
- Customer service
- Clean safe drinking water
- Effective management of wastewater
- Protect and enhance the environment
- Supporting social and economic growth
- Investing in our future
The WSSP is an essential part of ensuring the availability of safe drinking water. It will ensure that we have an environment that is protected from the impacts of wastewater discharges, and that we have efficient modern systems that meet the needs of customers, contribute to economic growth and development, and provide value for money.
The WSSP was developed following two phases of public consultation and underwent a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and an Appropriate Assessment (AA). The initial consultation was non-statutory and took place from July to September 2014. As part of the second statutory phase of public consultation, Irish Water invited submissions on the Draft WSSP together with the SEA Environmental Report and Natura Impact Statement (AA process) from the 19th February to the 17th April, 2015. Irish Water would like to thank everyone who participated in the public consultation to date.
Delivering on the WSSP over the next 25 years will require an unprecedented transformation in how the industry operates and increased levels of investment. The WSSP sets out the challenges we face as a country in relation to the provision of water services and identifies strategic national priorities. It includes Irish Water’s short, medium and long term objectives and identifies strategies to achieve these objectives.
Links to the final documents are below:
If you are experiencing any difficulties opening the WSSP document please click on the individual chapters below:
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1 - Introduction
- Chapter 2 - Challenges and Priorities
- Chapter 3 - Objective: Meet Customer Expectations
- Chapter 4 - Objective: Ensure a Safe and Reliable Water Supply
- Chapter 5 - Objective: Provide Effective Management of Wastewater
- Chapter 6 - Objective: Protect and Enhance the Environment
- Chapter 7 - Objective: Support Social and Economic Growth
- Chapter 8 - Objective: Invest in Our Future
- Glossary & Appendices
- Environmental Report on the Strategic Environmental Assessment of the Draft WSSP
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Statement for the WSSP
- Natura Impact Statement in support of the Appropriate Assessment for the WSSP
- Public Consultation Report Phase 1 July-Sept 2014
- Public Consultation Report Phase 2 Feb-April 2015