Laois Countywide Sewer Rehabilitation Works
Upgrading the sewer network across Laois to remove blockages and address structural defects
As part of a €10 million investment to the Eastern-Midlands Region, Irish Water, working in partnership with Laois County Council, is upgrading the sewer network in towns across Laois. McAllister Group Limited is working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver this project.
Upgrade works are being undertaken in Portlaoise, Rathdowney, Mountrath and Mountmellick as part of this project. The works are currently on-going, and are scheduled for completion in Q2 2019.
Think before you flush
Irish Water is supporting Clean Coasts to raise awareness and reduce these issues through the ‘Think Before You Flush’ and ‘Think Before You Pour’ campaigns. Think Before You Flush is a public awareness campaign about the problem sanitary products and other items can cause in our marine environment and our wastewater systems if they are flushed down the toilet.
Find out more about our Think Before You Flush programme here.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Address the structural defects of the sewers.
- Reduce the likelihood of sewer collapses and blockages.
- Reduce potential sewer flooding and odour issues.
- Improve the performance level of the sewer network.
What is involved as part of this project?
- Cleaning the sewer network in order to undertake an accurate inspection and remove any blockages by inappropriate items (e.g. wet wipes, cotton pads, fats, oils and greases etc.). To date, approximately 2.5 km of the sewer network has been cleaned
- Undertaking CCTV surveys of the sewer network to determine their condition and the extent of any defects
- Rehabilitated over 1 km of the existing sewer to date through the installation of plastic liners
- Works are being carried out using non-dig technology to reduce impacts to residents, the general public, businesses, schools and to minimise traffic disruption
- Countywide, Laois
- In Progress