Letterkenny Regional Water Supply Scheme
This €19 million investment will improve the quality of water supplied to over 40,000 people served by the Letterkenny and Creeslough Water Supply Schemes.
The works being carried out will result in the construction of a new water treatment plant at Goldrum, which supplies Letterkenny and at Kildarragh, supplying Creeslough. This large scale project will safeguard the drinking water supply in the region and provide for economic and population growth, in an area where there is strong industrial, agricultural and tourism activity.
Location Co. Donegal
Investment €19 million
Status In Progress
Completion Date Spring 2019
What are the benefits of this project?
- Improve drinking water quality
- Reduce disruptions to supply
- Improve security of supply
- Improve water pressure
- Enable the removal of Church Hill, Rathmullan and Creeslough water supplies from the EPA’s Remedial Action List
What is involved as part of this project?
- Letterkenny Water Treatment Plant at Goldrum
- Creeslough Water Treatment Plant at Kildarragh
- Replacement of approximately 4.5km of water main from Lough Keel to the new water treatment plant at Goldrum
- Upgraded pumping stations at Lough Keel and Lough Greenan
- Approximately 1.5 km of trunk water main from Goldrum Water Treatment Plant
- Approximately 1.1 km of distribution water main from Goldrum Water Treatment Plant
- Decommissioning of the old Letterkenny and Creeslough Water Treatment Plants