Galway Sewer Rehabilitation Project
Irish Water is investing €2 million to upgrade the sewers in Galway City.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Galway City Council is carrying out the Galway Sewer Rehabilitation project. GMC Utilities Group is working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver this project.
This €2 million project will reline the existing sewer which will reduce odour issues and sewer flooding in the area.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Upgraded sewer for business and residents
- Addressing odour issues during storm water events
- Upgraded wastewater network which will reduce sewer flooding
What is involved as part of this project?
- Upgrading sewers in William Street, Shop Street, High Street, Cross Street, Augustine Street and Flood St
- Inserting a new pre-cast plastic liner into the existing sewers, which improves the structural stability of the sewer and improves its level of performance
- Some small local excavations will be required to allow access to the sewer and to install the liners
- Sewer cleaning, inspection/surveying and site investigation works are required prior to commencing the sewer relining
News and Updates
- To facilitate the construction of new sewer manholes, the works will require the closure of Cross Street from the junctions with Middle Street and Mainguard Street
- The road closure period will extends for seven weeks from Monday 7 January 2019 to 22 February 2019. All traffic will be diverted via Father Griffin Road, Fairhill Road Upper, Dominick Street & Bridge Street
- We apologise for any inconvenience that may be caused due to these necessary rehabilitation works
- No works will be carried out during the month of December in order avoid traffic congestion during the Christmas period
- No works will be carried out on William Street/Shop Street/High Street during July and August in order to avoid disruption during the peak tourist season
- Irish Water and GMC will make every effort to ensure odours are kept to a minimum
- Trenchless techniques will be used for liner installation, for this project in order to reduce the potential impact to businesses and residents during these works
- For further information regarding the works please contact the Project Team on 1890 252 261 during office hours (8am-5pm)
Programme of Works
The sewer cleaning, CCTV surveys and site investigation works are due to be carried out between July and October with the liner installation works programmed from January to July 2019. Where appropriate these works will take place at night time.
- Galway City, Co. Galway
- €2 million