Castletown Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
Upgrading the wastewater treatment plant in Castletown, Co. Laois as part of a €175,000 investment
Irish Water, working in partnership with Laois County Council, is investing €175,000 to undertake essential upgrade works to wastewater treatment plant in Castletown, Co. Laois. These improvement works include upgrades to the storm water management and sludge treatment and storage at the facility.
What are the next steps?
Subject to statutory approvals, it is envisaged that works will be completed at the site by 2021.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Upgrade existing infrastructure at the plant and provide new elements where defects identified.
- Improve the performance of the wastewater treatment process.
- Prolong the operational life of the existing plant.
- Reduce the risk of storm water flooding.
- Ensure compliance with Urban Wastewater Treatment Regulations 2001.
What is involved as part of this project?
- Construct a 60.5 m3 storm water holding tank at the plant.
- Install a 36m³ sludge holding tank to provide for sufficient storage on site.
- Works will be carried out within the footprint of the plant therefore minimising disruption to residents and businesses in the surrounding area.
- Castletown, Co. Laois