Bandon Water Main & Sewer Network Upgrade Project
Irish Water is investing €14 million in the Bandon Water Main & Sewer Network Upgrade Project.
We are progressing a water main and sewer network upgrade in Bandon. This project will replace 10kms aging water mains with a high frequency of burst and high rate of leakage. The project will improve water quality and security of supply for the people of Bandon and will increase the capacity in the sewer network by upgrading over 5kms of sewer network and reducing sewage.
Details of upcoming works
|Location||Start Dates||Duration||Planned Works||Traffic Management|
|Ardan N-Oglach||Starting 30 September 2019||6 Weeks||Backyard Service Works||Shuttle|
|Brady's Lane||Started 02 September 2019||6 Weeks||Pipeline Construction||Road Closure|
|McSwiney Quay||Started 30 September 2019||9 Weeks||Pipeline Construction||Road Closure|
|Emmet Row||Starting 30 September 2019||7 Weeks||Pipeline Construction||Road Closure|
Progress on the Bandon Watermain and Sewer Network Contract – October 2019
- Ward and Burke have been appointed to replace the communal water service connections to all the properties in Ardan N-Oglach with individual service connections to each property. This work will benefit the residents by reducing the amount of water lost through leakage and will improve the reliability of supply to the properties.
- Currently there are internal Surveys and Plumbing Surveys taking place in this area.
- Backyard Services works commenced on the 30 September 2019 and will continue on week commencing 07 October 2019 along Ardan Na N-Oglach.
- These works are to connect the new pipeline already installed on the road adjacent to the properties, to the boundary boxes at the front wall of the properties. Notification of these works has been dropped to residents. Irish Water expects these works to last for approximately 6 weeks.
- Works have commenced on Brady’s Lane since Week Commencing 2nd September to start the laying of a new Combined Sewer pipeline and Gas Diversion.
- The current road closure is expected to last 6 weeks.
- The gas diversion has now been completed on this section. Installation of the new combined sewer pipeline will continue Week Commencing 7 October.2019.
- Local access is being maintained where possible. Parking will be limited in the carpark until works are completed.
- McSwiney Quay works and associated road closure commenced on 30 September 2019.
- The works are complex on this section of road with a number of pipes required to be laid. The closure will be until the 30 November and crews will be off site for the 01 December 2019.
- We are currently on our first section of these works. During this section, vehicle access to businesses for customers and deliveries and local access for residents will be from Weir Street side of McSwiney Quay. There is pedestrian only access from St Finbarr’s Place and Bridge Street.
- Ward and Burke are liaising with all local residents and businesses ahead of the works to ensure as little disruption as possible.
- Notification of the works has been dropped to residents within the immediate area of works. Local access will be maintained where possible.
- Agreed diversions are in place for both cars and HGV’s to get access to Weir Street/ Riverview Shopping Centre/Lidl. Please find diversion maps attached.
- Diversions will also be in place for all deliveries to the Weir Street/ Riverview Shopping Centre/Lidl. This map has also been circulated to all businesses ahead of the closure.
- Emergency Services, Haulage Company’s and Bin Companies have all been notified.
- Works commenced on the 30.09.2019 for the installation of a combined sewer and replacement of cast iron Watermain. A road closure is in place to facility these works.
- These works are expected to last 7 weeks.
- Local access will be maintained where possible. Parking may be affected.
New Works Commencing – October to December 2019
- Works are proposed to commence on Mill Place to facilitate installation of new truck main in October.
- Works will be completed under a road closure. Local access will be maintained where possible. Notification of works will be given to residents and businesses closer to the date once confirmed.
- After the section of works on Emmet Row has been completed works will commence out the Dunmanway Road. These works are to install a Combined Sewer and replace Cast Iron Watermain. Notification of works will be given to residents and businesses closer to the date once confirmed.
Clancool/St Bridgets Terrace:
- Ward and Burke have been appointed to replace the communal water service connections to all the properties in Clancool/St Bridgets Terrace with individual service connections to each property. This work will benefit the residents by reducing the amount of water lost through leakage and will improve the reliability of supply to the properties.
- We will be installing a new Water Main along the public road running adjacent to the properties in October. Notification of commencement date will be dropped to residents once confirmed.
- As discussed already with residents we will then need to connect the new watermain to the properties after this. Due to these works we are currently completing internal Surveys and Plumbing Surveys on these properties.
Ward and Burke Construction Ltd. has a full time Community Liaison Officer on the contract who is available to address and queries or concerns in relation to the works.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Will improve the water and sewer network in Bandon
- Will reduce leakage in Bandon
- Provision for future growth within the Bandon area
What is involved as part of this project?
- Replacement of 10kms aging water mains with a high frequency of burst and high rate of leakage
- Upgrading over 5kms of sewer network
- Replacement of all lead and copper communications pipes crossed or otherwise encountered during the construction works and replacement with polyethylene pipe
- Provision of a combined sewer underneath the bed of the St. Patrick’s Place Culvert on the Bridewell River from New Road along St. Patrick’s Place to Market Quay
- Removal of combined sewer overflows
- Bandon, Co. Cork
- In Progress
- €14 million