O'Connell Street Sewer Rehabilitation Works
Irish Water is upgrading the sewer network in Limerick City to remove blockages and address structural defects
As part of on-going investment in the Mid West Region, Irish Water, working in partnership with Limerick City and County Council, is undertaking essential sewer network rehabilitation works to the Limerick City sewer network at O’Connell Street.
The project comprises essential maintenance and repair work to an old brick culvert sewer running under O’Connell Street. The current phase of the project will involve structural repair works to strengthen sections of the culvert that are in danger of collapse, as well as constructing access shafts to allow future sewer lining and remedial works to maintain this critical piece of infrastructure for Limerick City.
GMC Utilities Limited is working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver this project.
What is involved?
- Construction of access shafts to enable future lining of the sewer
- Surveying, cleaning and repairing the existing culvert
Programme of works
- The works are due to commence on Monday 18 May 2020 and are expected to be completed within ten weeks.
- The standard working hours are generally between 7am and 6pm, with no work anticipated on Sundays and public holidays. Where night time working may be required hours will be from 7pm to 6am and, if required, this will be agreed with Limerick City and County Council in advance.
- There may be some minor disruption to traffic, and some small sections of parking suspended
- Facilitate future lining and rehabilitation of the existing sewers
- Address the structural defects of the old culvert
- Reduce the likelihood of sewer collapses and blockages
- Reduce potential sewer flooding and odour issues
- Improve the performance level of the sewer network
We regret any inconvenience these necessary works may cause. For further information, please contact the project team on 1890 25 22 61 during office hours (8am-5pm) or firstname.lastname@example.org For regular project updates, please visit our Projects and Plans section or follow @IWCare.
Think Before You Flush
- Irish Water is supporting Clean Coasts to raise awareness and reduce these issues through the ‘Think Before You Flush’ and ‘Think Before You Pour’ campaigns.
- Think Before You Flush is a public awareness campaign about the problem sanitary products and other items can cause in our marine environment and our wastewater systems if they are flushed down the toilet.
- Find out more on our Think Before You Flush page