Monksland Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
Modernising and upgrading the treatment plant in Monksland, Co. Roscommon to improve performance and ensure environmental compliance
Irish Water, working in partnership with Roscommon County Council, is investing €2 million to complete essential upgrades of the wastewater treatment plant at Monksland, Co. Roscommon.
Glan Agua Limited is delivering this project on behalf of Irish Water’s Capital Programmes. This project is currently on-going and scheduled for completion in Q1 of 2020.
The project will upgrade and modernise several elements of the wastewater treatment process at the plant. This includes replacing the preliminary treatment works and constructing a storm tank and overflow system to ensure compliance with the Wastewater Treatment Regulations.
- Improve the performance of the wastewater treatment process at the plant
- Enable the plant to handle peak flows and manage storm water overflows more effectively
- Reduce the risk of non-compliance with the Wastewater Treatment Regulations 2001
- Provide for growth and development in Monksland and the surrounding areas
What is involved?
- Construct a preliminary treatment works including inlet works, screens, grit removal and an overflow chamber.
- Construct a new storm water holding tank and overflow infrastructure.
- Carry out improvements to the sludge handling facilities.
- Upgrade the control systems at the plant.
- Decommission and demolish the existing inlet works and disused sludge drying beds.