Monksland Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
Irish Water has completed works as part of a €2 million investment to modernise and upgrade the wastewater treatment plant in Monksland, Co. Roscommon
Irish Water, working in partnership with Roscommon County Council, has completed essential upgrade works at the Monksland Wastewater Treatment Plant. This €2 million investment will ensure the wastewater treatment plant is fully compliant with EU Urban Wastewater Directives. Glan Agua Limited carried out the works on behalf of Irish Water.
- Improve the performance of the wastewater treatment processes at the plant
- Enable the plant to handle peak flows and manage storm water overflows more effectively
- Reduce the risk of non-compliance with the Wastewater Treatment Regulations, 2001
- Allow for growth and development in Monksland and the surrounding areas
What was involved?
- Upgraded the treatment processes including the inlet works, screens, grit removal and overflow chamber
- Constructed a new storm water holding tank and associated storm water overflow infrastructure
- Carried out improvements to the sludge handling facilities
- Upgraded the control systems at the plant
- Decommissioned and demolished the existing inlet works and disused sludge drying beds