Birdstown Water Main Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Donegal County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Birdstown along the R239 between Burnfoot and Muff to improve security of supply and reduce high levels of leakage
The programme to replace problematic water mains in Birdstown is scheduled to commence in late January 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme. The section of works will take place along the Burnfoot to Muff Road (R239) and continues north at the junction with the L7631.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction Ltd and are expected to be completed in early March 2019.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of approximately 830 metres of problematic water mains with new high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will also be replaced as part of this improvement work