Ballymahon Water Treatment Plant Upgrade
Irish Water has upgraded the water treatment plant in Ballymahon, Co. Longford to benefit over 8,200 customers
Irish Water, working in partnership with Longford County Council, has upgraded the water treatment plant in Ballymahon, Co. Longford. This project will benefit approximately 8,200 customers supplied by the Ballymahon Public Water Supply and ensure the delivery of a clean, safe drinking water source.
The water treatment process at the plant was inadequate in protecting against the formation of Trihalomethanes (THMs). The upgrades have provided additional treatment and improved the existing water treatment processes, improving the drinking water quality, benefitting Ballymahon and the surrounding area.
What is involved?
- As part of this project, Irish Water upgraded the water treatment plant to provide additional treatment and improved the existing water treatment processes
- Control and monitoring systems to mitigate against THM formation
- Improve the quality of water supplied to Ballymahon and the surrounding area.
- Enable the removal of the Ballymahon Public Water Supply from the EPA’s Remedial Action List (RAL)
- Ensure the delivery of safe, clean drinking water to residents and businesses in Ballymahon and the surrounding area
- Safeguard the water supply to this area
- Improve water quality and water treatment standards
- Improve the control and reliability of the Water Supply
- Ensure compliance with current drinking water quality regulations