Abbey Road and Marlfield Road Water Mains Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Tipperary County Council, has replaced problematic water mains on Abbey Road and Marlfield Road, Clonmel, to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality
The works involved the replacement of over 1,470 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace the water mains on Abbey and Marlfield Roads commenced on 13 July 2020. These works were carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works took place between the junction of Abbey Road and Connolly Park, continued on Abbey Road and onto Marlfield Road and finished after Inis na Managh. The works also involved laying over 65 new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these were replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works were carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Shareridge Ltd.
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of works
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Traffic management may be in place during this time. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section of the Irish Water website.