What happens when a water meter is installed?
The process for the installation of your water meter is:
• At least two weeks before the installation you will receive an information pack explaining the installation of the water meter.
• At least two days before the installation you will receive a further communication confirming the date timeframe that the water meter will be installed.
• A meter box will typically be fitted in the public footpath outside your property.
• Meter boxes are plastic containers with the lid visible at ground level. They contain the meter and stopcock for your home.
• The water meter will then be installed within the meter box.
• While the meter box is being fitted, which may take up to two hours; your water supply will be interrupted intermittently throughout this period.
• Even though your meter has been installed, you will not start being charged by Irish Water without prior notice in writing.
For more information visit our metering explained page