Arklow Wastewater Treatment Plant
Arklow has been identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as an area where wastewater is discharged into the Avoca River without any treatment. This practice of discharging untreated wastewater to the river is no longer acceptable and Irish Water intends to fix this problem in partnership with Wicklow County Council.
The provision of a new wastewater treatment plant in Arklow will bring benefits to the town and surrounding areas in terms of health, environmental protection and improved water quality for all.
Arklow Wastewater Treatment Plant must be delivered in a way that not only meets the required legislative standards but that also ensures that all works are undertaken in a safe and environmentally responsible manner, in cooperation with the local community.
The objectives of the Arklow Wastewater Treatment Plant project are as follows:
- To stop the current practice of discharging untreated wastewater to the Avoca River
- To provide a wastewater treatment facility that will comply with all relevant legislative requirements and will service the population of Arklow into the future
- To improve water quality in the Avoca River
What is involved?
Irish Water intends to develop the Arklow Wastewater Treatment Plant Project which includes:
- A new Wastewater Treatment Plant (WwTP) of 36,000 population equivalent that will best meet the current needs of Arklow, and allow for future expansion of the town. The preferred site is the Old Wallboard Factory, North Quay, Ferrybank
- Sewer pipelines (along the North and South Quays) to bring the untreated wastewater to the WwTP
- A marine outfall pipe to safely discharge the treated wastewater to the Irish Sea
What is happening now?
Irish Water recently received Ministerial approval of the Foreshore Licence for Arklow Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Plans for the delivery of the Arklow Wastewater Treatment plant are at an advanced stage. The necessary planning, land and licences have been secured and the procurement of the construction contract is concluding. Subject to Ministerial consent Irish Water expects construction work to begin in the second half of 2021.
Further updates will be provided once the contract has been awarded and Irish Water have a programme of works. The Project Team will also endeavour to keep the local community undated in advance of works commencing.