Upper Liffey Valley Sewerage Scheme & Osberstown Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
Osberstown's wastewater treatment plant serves three large catchment areas in Kildare which include the towns of Sallins, Clane, Prosperous, Naas, Johnstown, Kill, Newbridge, Kilcullen, Athgarven, Carragh & The Curragh. The existing wastewater treatment plant is currently under pressure so it needs to be expanded and modernised in order to increase its capacity and also bring it in line with best wastewater treatment practices and EU directives. This project will ensure the plant achieves environmental compliance and will allow for future population growth and economic development within its catchment areas.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Increase capacity of existing plant to allow for growth in local population and economic development
- Treated effluent from the plant will reach EPA standards
- Help Ireland avoid substantial EU penalties with the introduction of modern process and treatment standards
What is involved in this project?
- Upgrading the wastewater treatment plant capacity from 80,000 to 130,000 Population Equivalent (PE).
- Expanding the preliminary and primary treatment processes at the plant.
- Upgrading the nitrogen and biological phosphorous removal processes at the plant.
- Constructing tertiary treatment process at the plant.
- Expanding sludge facilities.
- Osberstown, Co. Kildare
- In Progress