Springtown Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Longford County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Springtown, Co. Longford to improve security of supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The programme to replace problematic water mains in Springtown is scheduled to commence mid-December 2018. Works will cease over the Christmas period and recommence in early January 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme. The section of works will take place along the R194. The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by GMC Utilities Group Ltd and are expected to be completed by April 2019.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacing the old water mains with new water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacement of old water mains and service connections in poor condition will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of approximately 3.6 km of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipe material
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work