Portumna Backyard Services
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Galway County Council, is replacing ageing back yard water mains and providing new service connections for customers in Marian Park, Portumna, Co. Galway to provide a more reliable water supply, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage.
In some older properties water connections were installed to the rear of the property, often referred to as backyard service connections. The pipework is typically made of cast iron or lead and due to age and deterioration is a significant source of leakage. Back yard services are usually shared, running through a number of neighbouring properties, making it difficult to detect and repair leaks. Since all properties share a connection, leaks and bursts affect all properties and usually result in low pressure. These works will be carried out by Farrans Construction in partnership with Galway County Council on behalf of Irish Water.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacing the old water mains with new water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacement of old water mains and service connections in poor condition will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the water network and replacing them with new plastic pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works in Marian Park will involve the decommissioning of approximately 332 metres of aged back yard water mains
- It is likely that the service connections currently serving these properties are made from lead
- All new service connections will be made with modern high density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic pipes to ensure a safer, more reliable water supply