Newbliss Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water replacing ageing water mains in Newbliss, Co. Monaghan to improve security of supply and quality for local customers and businesses and reduce high levels of leakage.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Monaghan County Council, will begin works to replace ageing water mains in Newbliss, Co. Monaghan. These works are scheduled to commence on the week of the 23 April 2018. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
The Leakage Reduction Programme will see over €500 million invested over four years to reduce leakage and remove problematic pipes from the public water network. These works will help to ensure that we have a clean, safe and reliable water supply now and into the future to support our growing population and economy.
A reliable water supply
- Replacing the ageing water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
Improved water quality
- Removing existing old cast iron from the public water network and replacing them with new pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
- Replacing the old water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved operation and maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works will involve the decommissioning and replacement of over 1.2 kilometres of old and damaged cast iron water mains
- The existing pipes will be replaced with new modern high density polyethylene plastic pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the street/road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customer’s water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work
- The works will commence on the week commencing the 23 April and are expected to take approximately 10 weeks to complete