Mullaghmore, Sligo Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Replacement ageing water mains at Camross, Ballymote to improve security of supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The works involve the replacement of approximately over 1.8 kilometres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace problematic water mains at Camross, Ballymote is scheduled to commence in January 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works will take place at Rathdoony More and Camross, Ballymote. The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction Ltd and are expected to be completed by March 2019.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacing the old water mains with new water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacement of old water mains and service connections in poor condition will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
Affects of works
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- Traffic management may be in place during this time. There will be local diversions in place for the duration of the works. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified and customers can phone Irish Water on Call save 1800 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements cause. Details of work in the area will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section of the Irish Water Supply page.
Further information on Irish Water’s Leakage Reduction Programme is also available on the Irish Water website www.water.ie.