Mountain Road Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Sligo County Council, is replacing problematic water mains in Tubbercurry to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
The works involve the replacement of over 438 metres of Cast Iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in Tubbercurry will commence on 25th February 2020. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works will take place along Mountain Road. The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction and are expected to be completed by March 2020.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
Improved water quality
- Replacing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network with new modern pipes will reduce the risk of contamination.
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of works
- To facilitate the safe delivery of the works, there will be a road closure in place on Mountain Road which will be notified in advance. Alternative routes will be available and diversions will be clearly sign-posted. Local and Emergency access will be maintained at all times. The road will reopen at weekends.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1800 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause.Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section of the Irish Water website.