Luggacurren Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Laois County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Luggacurren, Co. Laois to improve security of supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The works will involve the decommissioning and replacement of approximately 5 kilometres of problematic water mains in the Ballycoolan and Luggacurren areas.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Ward & Burke Construction Limited are planned to commence this week and are expected to be completed by the end of September.
A reliable water supply
- Replacing the ageing water mains and service connections and will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages on Patricks Street and Chapel Avenue and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacing the old water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved operation and maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs
- Traffic management will be in place during this time
- There will be local diversions in place for the duration of the works