Kanturk Water Main Replacement - Greenfield Road
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Cork County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Greenfield Road, Kanturk to improve security of supply, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage.
The programme to replace problematic water mains in Greenfield Road is to commence this week. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme. The section of works will take place between on the Greenfield Rd, Kanturk, Co. Cork.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network and replacing them with new pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of approximately 2620 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work
- The works are expected to be completed by December 2018