Freshford Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Kilkenny County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Freshford, Kilkenny to improve security of supply and pressure, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage.
The works will take place in two sections beginning the week of 29 October along Mill Street and Urlingford Road where 500m of new water main will be laid before the end of this year. The works will continue in the New Year on Kilkenny Street where a further 375m of problematic water main will be renewed. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme and will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Coffey Northumbrian Ltd.
A reliable water supply
- Replacing the ageing water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacing the old water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the water network and replacing them with new plastic pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
Improved Supply Pressure
- The replacement water mains have been adequately sized to cater for water consumption in the town and will eliminate historically poor supply pressure in the Urlingford Road area
- The works involve the replacement of 875 metres of old cast iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes along the R693 in Freshford, Co. Kilkenny
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work