Durrow Water Main Replacement - Erkindale Drive
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Laois County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Durrow, Co Laois to improve security of supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The programme to replace the water mains in Erkindale Drive, Durrow, Co Laois is scheduled to commence May 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The section of works will take place outside the village of Durrow just off the N77. The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Ward & Burke Construction Ltd. and are expected to be completed by June 2019.
A reliable water supply
- Replacing the ageing water mains and service connections and will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages on Patricks Street and Chapel Avenue and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacing the old water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved operation and maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of approximately 584 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers
- Traffic management will be in place during this time