Cavanhill Water Treatment Plant Upgrade
Uisce Éireann has invested over €10 million in the Dundalk Water Supply Scheme. This significant investment has upgraded the Cavanhill Water Treatment Plant (WTP) which supplies over 35,000 people in the Dundalk area.
Cavanhill is the primary drinking water production facility serving Dundalk. This project has provided a significant upgrade of treatment facilities at the Cavanhill WTP to address and remedy the deficiencies in the treatment plant.
What was involved as part of this project?
This project included the following works:
- Introduction of pH correction of raw water
- Upgrade of existing Coagulation, Flocculation and Clarification Process
- Upgrade of existing filtration process
- Installation of ultraviolet disinfection
- Upgrade of chemical disinfection process
- Construction of disinfection contact tank
- Provision of orthophosphate process as part of IW lead mitigation strategy
- Upgrade of existing solid and liquid residual process
- Replacement of equipment at pumping station
- Replacement of surge protection plant
What are the benefits of this project?
- Improve drinking water quality and water treatment standards
- Safeguard water supplies for Dundalk and the surrounding area
- Improvement of the energy efficiency at the plant