Buncrana & Ballybofey-Stranorlar Sewerage Schemes
Uisce Éireann, in partnership with Donegal County Council is upgrading the Sewerage Scheme Network in Buncrana & Ballybofey- Stranorlar, Co. Donegal.
Uisce Éireann, working in partnership with Donegal County Council, plans to deliver the Buncrana and Ballybofey-Stranorlar Sewerage Schemes.
The €31 million investment involves an upgrade to the wastewater network infrastructure in Buncrana and Ballybofey-Stranorlar, reducing the risk of sewer flooding and addressing non-compliant sewer overflows into Lough Swilly and the River Finn. It will also improve the capacity of the sewer network allowing for current and future population growth, and supporting the social and economic development of Buncrana, Ballybofey-Stranorlar and the surrounding area. Stormwater storage will be provided in Buncrana to reduce the risk of overflows during storms.
Both schemes are part of the Donegal Towns & Villages Sewerage Schemes.
These works will ensure compliance with EU Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive and the EPA Wastewater Discharge License Emission Limit Values, and will eliminate non-compliant combined sewer overflows within the area. Ward & Burke Water Limited will carry out the works on behalf of Uisce Éireann. The works are due to commence in March 2023 and will be completed by the end of 2024.
What are the benefits of this project?
The upgrade works carried out as part of this project will:
- Reduce the risk of overflows and flooding during heavy rain events through provision of stormwater storage.
- Improve water quality in the receiving waters.
- Ensure compliance with Urban Wastewater Treatment Regulations 2001 and the EPA Wastewater Discharge Licencing.
- Ensure any discharge to Lough Swilly and the River Finn meets all appropriate discharge standards.
- Provide for growth and development in Buncrana, Ballybofey, Stranorlar and the surrounding areas.
What is involved as part of this project?
The proposed schemes will include the following:
Buncrana Sewerage Scheme:
- Provision of stormwater storage at the Buncrana Wastewater Treatment Plant and at the Westbrook Pumping Station.
- Upgrade of the sewer network (c.3km) to increase its capacity.
- Upgrades to the existing pumping stations at Westbrook, Derry Rd, Ludden, Earlsfort and The Pier.
- Decommision 2 existing storm overflows.
- As part of this project it is planned that works will take place in the following locations including: Marian Park, Cahir O ‘Doherty Avenue, Aileach Road, Railway Road, Cockhill Road and Castle Avenue.
Ballybofey-Stranorlar Sewerage Scheme
- Replace the existing pumping station at Navenny.
- Upgrades to the existing St Joseph’s Pumping Station and Glenfinn Rd Pumping Station.
- Upgrade of the sewer network (c.2km) to increase its capacity.
- Decommission 2 existing storm overflows.
- As part of this project it is planned that works will take place in the following locations including: Chapel Lane, Stranorlar Main Street, Navenny Road, Chestnut Road, St Joseph’s Pumping Station.