Ballybofey Water Mains Rehab Project
Water Supply Project
This €1 million investment in the water network in Ballybofey is part of an €13.8 million project known as the Donegal Countywide Water Mains Rehabilitation Project.
The Donegal Countywide Water Mains Rehabilitation Project includes replacement and rehabilitation of approximately 46km of old water mains across the county. Fifteen priority sections of water main spread over seven water supply schemes will benefit from this extensive project including Ballybofey.
Upon completion, this project will result in significant improvements in network performance and levels of customer service in terms of efficiency and security of supply. This project will also benefit customers by reducing disruptions in supply and improving water quality.
- The total amount of water which will be saved as a result of the replacement of old water mains that are prone to leakage and regular bursts and which cause interruptions to supply is estimated at 9.5 million litres of water per year
Improved Water Pressure
- Due to the high leakage on existing pipes, a number of properties are experiencing low pressures in their water supply or in some cases, a full interruption to supply. The new proposed connection will eliminate this
Improved Water Quality
- Replacing existing cast iron pipes with plastic polyethylene pipes will result in improved water quality
Reduced Traffic Disruptions
- A reduction in the disruptions to traffic due to burst repairs on or adjacent to road carriageways
- This project will include the replacement and rehabilitation of approximately 4 km of aging water mains in Ballybofey and the surrounding area
- This project will facilitate the replacement of water service connections and aging water mains on the public-side of the water distribution network in Ballybofey
- The works will involve laying a new polyethylene (plastic) water main on the N15 and decommissioning any existing water mains. New service connection pipes will then be laid from the new water main to each property