Rathmullan, Milford and Ramelton Sewerage Scheme
Irish Water is working to end the unacceptable practice of discharging untreated wastewater into Leannan Estuary, Lough Swilly and Maggy’s Burn by developing a sewerage scheme for Rathmullan, Milford and Ramelton.
The new wastewater treatment plant (WwTP) and associated infrastructure will bring benefits to Rathmullan, Milford and Ramelton and surrounding areas. These includes cleaner water which will enhance the areas' amenity value, particularly in Rathmullan which will contribute towards restoring the Blue Flag status of Rathmullan Beach. This project will improve water quality and potentially salmon spawning in Maggy’s Burn which is a designated Salmonid Water.
- Improved water quality in Leannan Estuary and Lough Swilly. This will remove the risk to the protected areas within Lough Swilly, including the Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), Special Protection Area (SPA), shellfish waters and designated bathing waters, including Rathmullan Beach
- Removal of the discharge of inadequately treated sewage into Maggy’s Burn will improve the water quality. It will also remove the risk to water quality in the downstream catchment of Lough Fern and the Leannan Estuary
- Cleaner water will enhance the areas amenity value, particularly in Rathmullan which will contribute towards restoring the Blue Flag status of Rathmullan Beach
- This project will improve water quality and potentially salmon spawning in Maggy’s Burn which is a designated Salmonid Water
- The new pumping stations and wastewater treatment plant have all been designed to accommodate an increase in the local population supporting future growth in each of the three towns
- The project will ensure that the water quality standards set down by regulatory bodies such as The Environmental Protection Agency will be achieved
- Construction of a wastewater treatment plant that will serve a population equivalent of approximately 5,500
- Decommissioning of the current underperforming plant in Milford, construction of a new pumping station at Milford and rising main to bring wastewater to the new plant
- Construction of two pumping stations at Ramelton and Rathmullan along with a rising mains that will transfer wastewater to the new plant
- Construction of a new outfall pipe that will safely discharge treated wastewater into Leannan Estuary
- Decommissioning of two septic tanks in Rathmullan
News and Updates
The project will take place within the towns of Ramelton, Milford, Rathmullan and surrounding areas as shown in the map.
For further information you can contact the Project Team at RMRwastewater@water.ie.