Mayo Disinfection Programme
The National Disinfection Programme ensures Mayo will continue to have safe and secure drinking water. We have been working with Mayo County Council to complete a detailed assessment of the water treatment plants in Mayo.
About this project
Glan Agua Limited is working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver the National Disinfection Project across the county. The Mayo programme is now complete.
Disinfection systems at 22 plants have been upgraded and standardised. We have also finished operational upgrades to public water supplies and pumping stations.
These sites include: Westport (Knappagh), Ballinrobe, Inishturk, Clare Island, Achill, Kiltimagh, ballina Wherrew, Foxford, Kilkelly, Louisburgh, Boniconlon, Ceide Fields, Charlestown, Crossmolina, Swinford, Erris, Mulranny, knock Airport, Newport, Ballina Lisglennon, Tallagh Towers and Attavally (Bangor) Reservoir.
What was involved
The programme involved assessing the condition and performance of all the sites. We then determined the disinfection systems needed to be upgraded.
Works at the plants included upgrades to the:
- Chemical storage and dosing infrastructure
- Chlorine contact time provision systems
- Monitoring instrumentation systems
- Control, telemetry and automation processes
- Clare Island and Inishturk Island plants by installing hypochlorite generation systems
The upgrade works carried out as part of this project has:
- Removed the Ceann Trá (Ventry) supply from the RAL in November 2017
- Improved the security of drinking water for residents and businesses
- Improved disinfection systems and standards
- Future-proofed the security of supplies
- Provided improved control of the systems
- Ensured continued compliance with Drinking Water Quality Regulations