Letterkenny Sewerage Scheme
This project represents a further step in the continued delivery of improvements to the wastewater infrastructure of County Donegal
Irish Water, in partnership with Donegal County Council, commenced works on the third phase of the Letterkenny Sewerage Scheme on 3 September 2018. The works are expected to take approximately 18 months to complete.
The first phase of this project, which was was carried out from 2004 to 2006, included improvement works to trunk sections of the existing wastewater collection network. The second phase was undertaken between 2010 and 2012 and included the construction of a new wastewater treatment plant and a new sludge hub centre.
News and Updates
Upcoming sewer works
Convent Road/ New Line Road Junction
- Works are due to commence on Wednesday 18 March at College Road/ New Line Road junction in Letterkenny.
- This work is expected to last for approximately two weeks. Normal working hours from 7.00am to 6.30pm will be observed.
- Traffic management will involve two-way manually-operated traffic light system during site working hours.
Pearse Road Footpath Reconstruction
- Work will continue on the reconstruction of Pearse Road footpath on Monday, 16 March.
- Two-way traffic will be maintained at all times. No traffic management will be required.
- Normal working hours from 7.00am to 6.30pm will be observed.
Joe Bonnar Road Sewer Update
- Approximately 240 metres of sewer will have to be replaced following significant issues at Joe Bonnar Road.
- We are currently reviewing design proposals in order to rectify this issue.
- It is not envisaged the Contractor will be in a position to start any earlier than April 2020.
- We will endeavour to keep you updated as the programme of works progresses.
- Increase the capacity of the wastewater collection network to cater for existing residential and commercial developments.
- Reduce the incidences of sewer flooding in the area.
- Improve the water quality of the River Swilly by reducing the frequency and volume of untreated wastewater overflows from the wastewater collection network to the river.
- Enable the long term social and economic development of Letterkenny Town.
- Construction of new foul/combined sewer pipelines and the rehabilitation of existing foul/combined sewer pipelines in Letterkenny Town.
- Construction of two interceptor sewers to direct flows away from the central town area.
- Removal of seven storm water overflows therefore eliminating point source pollution of the River Swilly.
- Construction of gravity sewers to facilitate the removal of defective pumping stations including Brookfield Heights and Hazelwood Drive Pumping Stations.
- Construction of a gravity sewer along Gortlee and Middle Road to divert flows from the existing Ashlawn sewer.
- De-commissioning of the existing wastewater treatment systems at New Brook Court and at Crievesmith Park.
- Replacement of existing defective sewers and manholes.
- Construction of 700 metres of culvert along Circular Road to resolve ongoing storm flooding (in partnership with Donegal County Council Roads Department).