Carraroe Sewerage Scheme
Eliminating raw sewage in Casla Bay
This project will stop the discharge of the equivalent of 1,300 wheelie bins of untreated wastewater being discharged directly into Casla Bay each day. The existing wastewater network was constructed in the 1950’s and upgraded in 2007. Wastewater from the village is collected in the public sewer system and is discharged to the sea outfall to Casla Bay at Sruffaun Pier. There is currently no treatment of the wastewater prior to discharge to Casla Bay.
The proposed works will be located in private land to the south of Sruffaun Pier and the existing boat house. Diversion of the existing wastewater network into the new wastewater treatment plant and connection of the new treated effluent pipeline to the existing outfall will require the construction/upgrading of a manhole at the entrance off Sruffaun Pier to the proposed site.
News and Updates
- Consultations have been on-going with all landowners identified on the proposed scheme. Irish Water was unable to acquire all of the required wayleaves and lands on a voluntary basis, given the importance of the project to the waste water infrastructure, Irish Water will now endeavour to acquire the wayleaves and lands by way of Compulsory Purchase Order pursuant to the provisions of the Water Services Act, 2007 (as amended). Irish Water will now be submitting the Compulsory Purchase Order to An Bord Pleanála
- In addition to the land acquisition process Irish Water will be seeking planning permission for the Carraroe Sewage Scheme from Galway County Council. The timeline for the commencement of works is subject to the Planning and CPO statutory approvals
For further information you can contact the Project Team at GalwayUWW@water.ie.
- Improved water quality in the receiving waters
- Enhancement of Carraroe’s amenity value and will act as a platform for social and economic development
- Compliance with national and EU regulations relating to the treatment of urban wastewater
- Provision for future growth within the Carraroe area
- A new wastewater treatment plant that will serve a population equivalent of 1,800.
- A new below-ground pumping station
- Sewer pipelines to bring untreated wastewater to the new wastewater treatment plant
- A new treated wastewater pipeline to discharge treated wastewater from the new wastewater treatment plant to the existing outfall
- Testing and commissioning of the works
- Works are estimated to be completed in 2022