Supply issues during or following an outage
Some customers may experience water quality or supply issues during or following an outage. Here are some helpful tips on what to do.
Helpful tips during an interruption to your water supply
It is recommended that you fill containers of fresh water to use before or during an outage.
- Drink from the hot water or bathroom taps
- Use any dishwashers/washing machines or any other equipment dependent on constant water flow while the water is not running from the cold kitchen tap
- Use any gas, oil or electrical appliances that you will use to heat your water, such as an immersion heater
- Use central heating systems during the period when the water is off. However, if you are unsure please refer to your manufacturer’s guide or contact your heating service provider
- Keep taps turned off
- Try to conserve the water in your storage tank as it may result in an airlock if it empties (e.g. avoid flushing your toilet)
How will I know if my water is back?
To check if your water is back, turn on the cold kitchen tap. If water is running, your water has been restored from the mains. If there is no flow, please turn off the kitchen tap and check again at regular intervals. If your water hasn’t returned after 24 hours, please 1850 278 278 and we will investigate. Please note that the rates charged for 1850 numbers may vary across different service providers. Calls from mobiles may be more expensive.
My water is back but my hot tap isn’t working
If your cold tap is working but your hot tap is not, then you may have an airlock in your internal plumbing. Check out our video or visit the link below for tips to find out how you can check for and clear an airlock.
My water is running but pressure is low
When your water returns, you may find that your pressure is lower than normal at first but it should build back up over time. Please be aware that it may take up to three hours for your supply to return to normal.
My water came back but has gone again
This could be a result of demand on the network. This should resolve itself over time but if there is no resolution within 24 hours please contact us on 1850 278 278 and we will investigate. Please note that the rates charged for 1850 numbers may vary across different service providers. Calls from mobiles may be more expensive.
My water is discoloured
When your water returns you may notice some slight discolouration of the water. This can usually be cleared by running the tap for a few minutes until the water runs clear.
If running your tap does not restore the clear colour, please Callsave 1850 278 278 and we will ensure it is promptly investigated.