Kinvara Wastewater Treatment Plant
This €3.5 million project is needed to build a new wastewater treatment plant which will stop untreated wastewater being discharged directly into the sea at Kinvara.
The seaside town of Kinvara is located on the south shoreline of Galway Bay. The town is a very popular summer destination for day-trippers and holidaymakers who enjoy the active harbour, a number of restaurants, bars, B&Bs and hotel.
Kinvara is one of 44 towns in Ireland where untreated wastewater is discharged directly into the sea as there is currently no wastewater treatment facilities for the town. The EPA has issued a Waste Water Discharge Licence which requires the existing discharge of untreated wastewater to be discontinued and a new wastewater treatment plant to be constructed for Kinvara. With a growing local population, a new wastewater treatment plant is now essential for Kinvara Town and it’s surrounding areas to allow for seasonal/future population growth and further commercial development.
What are the benefits of this project?
Improve water quality in Kinvara Bay
Ensure treated wastewater complies with EPA standards
Allow for future population growth and development in the area
Increase in capacity of the drainage network in the town
What is involved in this project?
- Constructing a new wastewater treatment plant to the north west of Kinvara which will include space for future expansion if required.
- Constructing a marine outfall pipe to Kinvara Bay.
- Constructing new gravity combined sewers from the Gort Road, along part of Main Street (East) and along the Quay Road.
- Installing new connections for all customers along the route of the proposed sewer, leading to the treatment plant.
- Upgrading the access road to the wastewater treatment plant at Ballybranagan.
- Delivering a plant to cater for a population equivalent (PE) of 1,300 with additional capacity to cater for peaks during the tourist season.
- Carrying out rehabilitation and repair works on existing sewers and manholes on the wastewater network that have been identified as being in poor condition following survey works.
- Kinvara, Co. Galway
- Spring 2017
- €3.5 million