Kilrush Sewerage Scheme
Irish Water is working to end the unacceptable practice of untreated wastewater being discharged to the Shannon Estuary at Kilrush.
Irish Water plans to deliver a new Wastewater Treatment Plant and associated works for Kilrush stopping the discharge of the equivalent of 5,700 wheelie bins of sewage per day. This unacceptable practice threatens water quality and detracts from the amenity value of the greater Shannon Estuary.
What are the benefits of this project?
- Improved water quality in the receiving waters of the Shannon Estuary in compliance with national and EU regulations relating to the treatment of wastewater
- Enhanced environmental amenity of Kilrush
- Protection of recreational swimming, fishing, kayaking and sightseeing waters
- Provision for social and economic development and future growth within the Kilrush area
What is involved as part of this project?
- Construction of a new wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) that will serve a population equivalent of 8,500, which equates to stopping over 6000 wheelie bins of raw sewage being discharged to the Lower Shannon estuary per day.
- Upgrade of the existing Frances Street pumping station including pumps, mechanical plant and a storm water storage tank.
- Sewer pipelines to bring untreated wastewater to the WWTP and treated water to the existing outfall tidal tank at Skagh Point.
- The existing outfall pipe will safely discharge the treated wastewater to the lower Shannon estuary.
Site Selection and Next Steps
- Two potential sites were identified for the proposed new Wastewater Treatment Plant. The sites were evaluated by comparing proximity to dwellings, zoning, accessibility, proximity to environmentally, culturally or historically sensitive areas, flood risk and cost.
- Following a detailed appraisal of the options, the construction of a WwTP at Skagh Point was found to be the most technically advantageous and environmentally beneficial solution while also delivering the best value for money for the project.
- This project is currently in the design and pre-planning stage.
- We will maintain contact with the community in Kirush in advance of and throughout the works.
For further information you can contact the Project Team at ClareUWW@water.ie.
- Kilrush, Co. Clare
- In Progress