Kilrush Sewerage Scheme
This project is needed to stop untreated wastewater being discharged directly into the lower Shannon estuary. Kilrush is a heritage town at the centre of the rich and diverse coastal landscape of West Clare.
The practice of discharging untreated wastewater to the estuary is no longer acceptable. Irish Water intends to rectify this problem, in conjunction with Clare County Council, by constructing a new Wastewater Treatment Plant to ensure that wastewater discharging to the lower Shannon estuary meets appropriate discharge standards. The Kilrush Wastewater Treatment Plant will bring benefits to Kilrush in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all. This project will stop the discharge of over 6,000 wheelie bins of raw sewage into the Shannon Estuary per day.
What are the benefits of this project?
- The project will bring benefits to Kilrush in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all.
- The proposed new wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) will improve the water quality in the receiving waters of the Shannon Estuary.
- Cleaner water will enhance Kilrush’s amenity value and act as a platform for social and economic development. The project includes the capacity for future growth in the area.
- The project will assist with ensuring that the water quality standards set down by regulatory bodies will be achieved.
- The new pipes, the upgraded Frances Street Pumping Station and the new wastewater treatment plant have all been sized to accommodate an increase in the local population.
What is involved as part of this project?
- Construction of a new wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) that will serve a population equivalent of 8,500, which equates to stopping over 6000 wheelie bins of raw sewage being discharged to the Lower Shannon estuary per day.
- Upgrade of the existing Frances Street pumping station including pumps, mechanical plant and a storm water storage tank.
- Sewer pipelines to bring untreated wastewater to the WWTP and treated water to the existing outfall tidal tank at Skagh Point.
- The existing outfall pipe will safely discharge the treated wastewater to the lower Shannon estuary.
- Kilrush, Co. Clare
- In Progress