Ballinasloe Mains Drainage & Water Conservation Works
Location Ballinasloe, Oranmore, Headford and Athenry, Co. Galway
Investment €6.8 million
What are the benefits of this project?
- Improve water quality
- Reduce water leakage and supply disruptions
- Reduce maintenance costs (leak repair works, flushing etc)
- Reduce pollution risk to River Suck
- Improve road safety with new gullies and better road drainage
- Reduce wastewater treatment costs by separating surface water and wastewater
Why is this project needed?
Sections of water mains in the area have been identified as having high levels of burst frequency and leakage. This results in high maintenance costs and an unreliable service for customers.
With sections of the network being overloaded, there are instances where effluent discharges into watercourses during periods of high rainfall causing a potential risk of pollution to the River Suck. Additionally there are sections of old cast iron mains that exist on the network which can cause drinking water quality issues.
What is involved in this project?
- Replacing 8.3km of water mains in Ballinasloe, Athenry, Oranmore and Headford at locations where existing water mains have been identified as needing rehabilitation.
- Replacing service connections and boundary boxes for 430 customers in the areas.
- Installing 2.4km of sewer network in Ballinasloe
- Replacing and transferring wastewater service connections for 124 customers in Ballinasloe to new sewers.