Irish Water staff and any contractors working on Irish Water’s behalf are trained to always identify who they are and who they are representing. They will always carry an identity card and you should ask to see this before allowing anyone to enter your home or business. If you are unsure or suspicious, please refuse access and call us on 1800 278 278 to verify their identity.
Here are some tips to help you stay safe:
- The front of the Irish Water I.D. card will be Irish Water branded and contain the contractor company details and will contain a picture, name, card number and identity card expiry date
- The reverse of the card will have the Freephone Irish Water call centre number, an address to return the card if found
- Our contractors will display their company logo along with the Irish Water logo on their vehicles and signage
- If you are not sure, please call 1800 278 278 to verify the I.D of any of our contractors
- Irish Water staff and contractors are trained to always identify who they are and who they are representing
- They will always present their I.D.
- Irish Water field staff will NEVER request money from a householder.
- Irish Water field staff will NEVER ask for your PPS number or bank details
Below are a series of sensible steps you should follow when dealing with people calling to your home or business:
- Always look through a window or door viewer before opening the door
- Only open your door after connecting a door chain lock or placing your foot behind the door
- Switch on outside lights when it is dark
- Request and examine identity cards
- Always think ‘safety’ – do not leave strangers alone on your doorstep while you go into another room. Always close the door if you need to do this. Do not leave strangers alone on your premises
- Take precautions – if you are unsure or suspicious, please refuse access
If you still have doubts about the identity of the person at your door, you can phone us on 1800 278 278 to make sure that the person is visiting on behalf of Irish Water.