Shanakiel Watermains Upgrades
Irish Water, in partnership with Cork City Council, is working to improve the security of water supply across Cork City through the delivery of three projects as part of the Cork City Water Supply Scheme. Farrans Construction is delivering these three projects on behalf of Irish Water.
Shanakiel Watermains Upgrades
This project involves upgrading the water supply network serving the north side of Cork City and includes replacement of existing water mains and the construction of two new pumping stations. These works will improve security of supply by replacing and upgrading old pipework in Cork City’s water supply network.
Details of upcoming works:
|Location||Start date||Duration||Planned Works||Traffic Management|
|Lee Road||Monday 27 September||6 weeks||Installation of two
|Traffic Management will be in place. Local & emergency access maintained.|
|Shanakiel Road Pumping Station||Monday 27 September||End date: 14 December 2022||Site investigation works & Pumping Station Construction||Works Primarily Contained within Private Lands.|
News and Updates
- Preparatory works have commenced near the Atkins Hall and Lee Vista Apartment Complex’s on the Lee Road.
- Site investigation works on the Shanakiel Road Pumping Station will be contained within the existing site and will begin on Monday 27th September.
- Figure 3 below shows the planned pipeline route indicated by the blue line. Figure 4 below shows the location of the planned pumping station.
- Installation of two watermain pipelines will commence within the carpark of UCC Environmental Research Institute, which will connect into the Lee Road Water Treatment Plant.
- There will be traffic management in place on the Lee Road in October 2021 to facilitate pipeline installation across the road.
For updates on the works please visit: water.ie/shanakiel.
Irish Water is working proactively with our delivery partners and as part of a multi-agency working group to ensure that our construction works are carried out in a controlled and safe manner, in keeping with Government and HSE guidelines to protect workers, their families and the broader community.
- Safeguard the water supply to Churchfield, Harbour View, Shanakiel, and the western side of Cork City
- Continue to provide a clean, reliable and safe water supply to the area and Cork City
- Facilitate future growth in Cork City
- Replacement of the Shanakiel rising and distribution mains
- Replacement of over 1.7km of old cast iron water mains
- Construction of two new pump stations, one at Shanakiel and one at Harbour View
- Upgrades to the trunk main between the Lee Road water treatment plant and the distribution mains
- Safety upgrades to the entrance to the Shanakiel reservoir, with better visibility for vehicles accessing and leaving the site
Farrans Construction has a full time Stakeholder Liaison Officer on the contract who is available to address and queries or concerns in relation to the works.
Contact details: Eamonn O’Sullivan (047) 39999 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For updates on the works please visit website project pages listed above.