Shanakiel Watermains Upgrades
Uisce Éireann, in partnership with Cork City Council, is working to improve the security of water supply across Cork City through the delivery of three projects as part of the Cork City Water Supply Scheme. Farrans Construction is delivering these three projects on behalf of Uisce Éireann.
Shanakiel Watermains Upgrades
This project involves upgrading the water supply network serving the north side of Cork City and includes replacement of existing water mains and the construction of two new pumping stations. These works will improve security of supply by replacing and upgrading old pipework in Cork City’s water supply network.
Details of upcoming works:
|Location||Start date||End date||Planned Works||Traffic Management|
|Shanakiel Road Pumping Station||04 January 2022||26 May 2023||Construction of a new pumping station||Site access traffic signage in place.|
|Shanakiel Road Pumping Station||06 March 2022||17 March 2023||Construction of a new boundary wall along Shanakiel Road||Site access traffic signage in place.|
|Harbour View Pumping Station||04 January 2022||05 May 2023||Construction of a new pumping station||Site access traffic signage in place.|
- Figure 2 below shows the pipeline route (blue line) as well as the location of the pumping station under construction within the Shanakiel reservoir site (orange box).
- Figure 3 below shows the location and site boundary for the pumping station under construction adjacent to the Harbour View reservoir site.
- Safeguard the water supply to Churchfield, Harbour View, Shanakiel, and the western side of Cork City
- Continue to provide a clean, reliable and safe water supply to the area and Cork City
- Facilitate future growth in Cork City
- Replacement of the Shanakiel rising and distribution mains
- Replacement of over 1.7km of old cast iron water mains
- Construction of two new pump stations, one at Shanakiel and one at Harbour View
- Upgrades to the trunk main between the Lee Road water treatment plant and the distribution mains
- Safety upgrades to the entrance to the Shanakiel reservoir, with better visibility for vehicles accessing and leaving the site
Farrans Construction has a full time Stakeholder Liaison Officer on the contract who is available to address and queries or concerns in relation to the works.
Contact details: Lucy Peters (047) 39999 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For updates on the works please visit website project pages listed above.
Uisce Éireann is working proactively with our delivery partners and as part of a multi-agency working group to ensure that our construction works are carried out in a controlled and safe manner, in keeping with Government and HSE guidelines to protect workers, their families and the broader community.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused during the construction works on this essential project. We will endeavour to keep all stakeholders, businesses and residents informed as this essential water supply scheme progresses.