Cork City Water Supply - Western Trunk Watermain
Irish Water is progressing with significant upgrades to the water network across Cork City.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Cork City Council, is working to improve the security of water supply across Cork City through the delivery of three projects. Farrans Construction is delivering these three projects on behalf of Irish Water, with the works expected to commence in the coming months.
This project involves the construction of a 5.5km link between the Cork City Water Supply Scheme and the Cork Harbour and City Water Supply Scheme, as supplied from Inniscarra Water Treatment Plant. This watermain will provide additional water supply capacity to Cork City by providing a strategic connection between the water supply schemes and will provide necessary headroom, to facilitate growth and also increase security of supply.
News and Updates
On 19 April 2021, site investigations and ecological surveys will commence at certain points along the project route. These works will run through the night (19:30 to 06:00). Each of the locations across the city will take approx. 1-2 working nights to complete. Irish Water expects these works to last for approx. 3 weeks in total. Traffic management will be in place to facilitate these investigation works.
Irish Water is working proactively with our delivery partners and as part of a multi-agency working group to ensure that our construction works are carried out in a controlled and safe manner, in keeping with Government and HSE guidelines to protect workers, their families and the broader community
What is involved as part of this project?
As part of this project, Irish Water will:
- Connection to existing 1500mm diameter city and harbour trunk (city ring) main at Curraheen
- Construction of a new 5.5 km trunk main connecting to the Cork City WSS at Lee Road WTP
- This project will include a crossing of the River Lee and critical road arteries into Cork City
- Connect to the Lee Road Water Treatment Plant and new pumping regime and into existing network
What are the benefits of this project?
The works carried out as part of this project will:
- Provide security of supply to Cork City
- Provide necessary additional water supply capacity
- Facilitate growth and development of Cork City