Omeath Sewerage Scheme
Irish Water is working to end the unacceptable practice of discharging untreated wastewater in Omeath, Co. Louth.
Irish Water, working with Louth County Council, is progressing with plans to upgrade the wastewater infrastructure in Omeath. Irish Water is committed to ending the unacceptable practice of discharging raw sewage in Ireland by constructing wastewater treatment plants and network infrastructure. We are working to ensure that wastewater is adequately treated and meets appropriate standards before being safely discharged into the marine environment.
The discharge of raw sewage threatens water quality and detracts from the amenity value of the coastal waters in Carlingford Lough. Action is required to stop this discharge of untreated wastewater.
Irish Water recently signed a contract with Veolia Water Ireland Limited to complete this essential project.
What is involved as part of the project?
Irish Water intends to rectify this problem by constructing a new Wastewater Treatment Plant and associated infrastructure. The project will include the following works:
- Construction of a new Wastewater Treatment Plant to serve a population equivalent of 1,600;
- A new Network Pump Station with emergency storage;
- New Sewer pipelines to bring untreated wastewater to the plant and the treated effluent to the existing outfall pipe; and
- The existing outfall pipe will be upgraded and extended by approximately 50m to safely discharge the treated effluent to Carlingford Lough.
What are the benefits of this project?
Once completed, the project will provide the following benefits:
- End the current practice of discharging untreated wastewater into Carlingford Lough which will significantly improve the water quality in the area
- Ensure adequate capacity for future growth in the area
- Safeguard human and environmental health
- Ensure compliance with European regulatory standards
- Enhanced environmental amenity of Omeath
- Contribute to the protection of recreational swimming, fishing, kayaking and sightseeing waters
- Provision for social and economic development and future growth within the Omeath area.
What are the next steps?
Irish Water recently signed a contract with Veolia Water Ireland Limited to complete this essential project. Works are due to commence in the coming weeks. We will endeavour to keep you updated as the project progresses.
For more information on the improvements Irish Water is making to water and wastewater services across Ireland, please visit our website.