Foynes Sewerage Scheme
Uisce Éireann is planning to construct a new wastewater treatment plant in Foynes, Co. Limerick.
Uisce Éireann, working in partnership with Limerick City and County Council, is progressing with plans for the proposed Foynes Sewerage Scheme in Co. Limerick. This project will involve the construction of a new wastewater treatment plant and sewerage infrastructure and will eliminate the discharge of untreated wastewater per day into the Shannon Estuary.
What is involved?
- Construction of a new wastewater treatment plant, which will serve a population equivalent of approximately 950
- Construction and upgrade to existing infrastructure including pumping station and sewer pipelines
- Better health and integrity of the environment
- Improved water quality in the Shannon Estuary
- Protection of recreational waters for swimming, surfering, fishing, boating and sightseeing
- Cleaner water will enhance Foyne’s amenity value and act as a platform for social and economic development to the area
- New wastewater treatment plant and infrastructure will be sized to accommodate future population growth
- Ensure compliance with national and EU regulations relating to the treatment of wastewater