Boherbue Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
Uisce Éireann is commencing works for an upgrade of Boherbue Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Uisce Éireann, working with Cork County Council, is commencing works to upgrade the wastewater treatment plant at Boherbue. Glan Agua will deliver the project on behalf of Uisce Éireann.
Currently the existing wastewater infrastructure in the village is overloaded and outdated and the effluent does not consistently meet the standard required by the EPA licence. Some parameters of the licence cannot be achieved with the assets that are currently in place.
What is involved in this project?
- Decommissioning of the existing plant and its associated structures
- Construction of a new facility in the townland of Laharn West to serve a population equivalent of 1200.
- New Inlet Works, Stormwater tank, biological treatment process, tertiary solids removal, Sludge drying reed beds.
- Solar Panel farm (over 100 solar panels) and continued use of the existing constructed wetlands.
- Connection to the existing outfall pipe to safely discharge treated wastewater into the Brogeen River.
What are the benefits of this project?
When complete, this project will;
- Modernise and improve the performance of the wastewater treatment infrastructure in Boherbue.
- Consistently Improve the quality of water discharged into the Brogeen River.
- Increase the capacity of the wastewater treatment plant, which will accommodate further growth in the Boherbue area.
- Safeguard human and environmental health.
- Ensure compliance with National and European regulatory standards regarding the treatment of wastewater.
- Solar panels will generate clean, renewable energy which will improve energy efficiency at the plant and reduce carbon emissions.
- Use of natural sludge drying reed beds and the constructed wetlands, improves the sustainability of the treatment plant.
- Works are commencing in September 2022.
- These works are expected to take 17 months and the project is scheduled for completion in early 2024.
- We will endeavour to keep all stakeholders updated with information as this essential project progresses.