Normal supply restored for the majority of customers in Cork following Storm Isha
24 January 2024
Over the last number of days, Uisce Éireann has been working to address any supply interruptions to customers as a result of the recent storms. Our priority is the provision of clean safe drinking water to communities and the safety of water services staff who work to make that happen.
In Cork, parts of Clonakilty, Dunmanway, Cloughduv and Newmarket were without water and nighttime restrictions were in place to give reservoirs time to replenish. There were also several burst watermains in Kanturk, Kinsale, Castlelyons and Glanmire that had been impacting supply for customers. Nighttime water restrictions remain in place for customers in the Reenascreena and Carrigfadda areas.
Cormac Bergin, Water Operations Engineer for Uisce Éireann in Cork County, said: “It has been a busy period for our engineers, curators and repair crews who have been hard at work in very difficult weather conditions to carry our repairs and restore water for our customers. The majority of customers should have their normal water supply returned by now.”
“We understand the inconvenience unplanned outages can have and we want to thank impacted customers for their patience and for conserving water.”
Homes and businesses can play their part and take some simple actions to conserve water throughout the year including:
- Check your home, business premises and unoccupied premises for leaks and get them fixed.
- Report any leaks you see in the public network via water.ie or the Uisce Éireann customer care centre, so that we can prioritise and dispatch crews to carry out critical repairs.
- Don’t leave taps running and fix any dripping taps inside or outside your property.
- Be mindful of water use in your business and look for opportunities to make savings. This can save businesses money, not only in their water bills but also in their energy costs as heating, pumping water etc. all require additional electricity.
- You can find lots of useful water saving tips on our website www.water.ie/conserve. This also includes an easy-to-use conservation calculator so you can work out how much water you are currently saving and how to conserve even more.
The Uisce Éireann website water.ie is updated regularly with local outage information and our contact centre is available 24/7 on 1800 278 278 to support our customers.
Customers are urged to check water.ie and or report loss of service or visible leaks to assist Uisce Éireann to identify bursts. Live updates on outages are also available on Twitter @IWCare.