Wicklow Disinfection Programme
Water Quality Project
Uisce Éireann has upgraded 32 Water Treatment Plants across Wicklow as part of the National Disinfection Programme.
The protection of public health and continued delivery of safe, clean drinking water is the top priority for Uisce Éireann. Disinfection is the most important part of the water treatment process.
Uisce Éireann, working in partnership with Wicklow County Council, has completed a detailed assessment of the water treatment plants in Wicklow as part of the National Disinfection Programme. The programme will ensure the continued delivery of safe drinking waters to these areas, while also maintaining the security of supply.
This programme has resulted in upgrades and standardisation of disinfection systems at 32 water treatment plants across the county to ensure continued compliance with the drinking water regulations. Glan Agua Limited has delivered this programme on behalf of Uisce Éireann. Upgrades have been completed at: Aughrim / Annacurragh, Avoca Ballinaclash, Ballinapark, Ballinavortha, Ballingate, Ballinteskin, Ballyclough North, Ballyellis, Ballymorris, Baltinglass, Brittas, Cronroe, Drummin, Dunlavin, Eadstown, Enniskerry, Giltspur, Glenealy, Greenhills, Killavaney (Tinahely), Killballyowen (Annacurragh), Killballyowen (Aughrim), Knocknagilky, Laragh, Priestnewtown, Raheen, Raheengraney, Rathdrum, Redcross Reservoir, Roundwood Well (Ashtown), Tinahealy-Tomacork, Tinahely Regional Supply and Ballinteskin Pump Station.
What was involved?
The programme involved undertaking an assessment of the condition and performance of all the plants, to determine if upgrades to the disinfection systems were required. Upgrade works at the plants included:
- Upgrades to the chemical storage and chemical dosing Infrastructure.
- Construction or upgrades to the chlorine contact time provision systems.
- Installation of Ultra Violet (UV) disinfection barrier where required.
- Upgrades to the monitoring instrumentation systems.
- Upgrades of control, telemetry and automation processes.
- Improve the security of drinking water quality for residents and businesses in Co. Wicklow
- Improve disinfection systems and standards.
- Future proofing the security of supplies.
- Provide improved control of the systems.
- Ensure continued compliance with Drinking Water Quality Regulations.
Uisce Éireann’s National Disinfection Programme
Uisce Éireann is investing over €65 million as part of this National Programme across the country. This programme involves the upgrade and standardisation of disinfection systems currently installed in 864 public drinking water treatment plants, reservoirs and pumping stations.
The programme involves an assessment of all of the plants across the country to identify any necessary improvements. To date, we have assessed 811 sites and completed upgrade works to over 257 sites.