Whitegate/Aghada Sewerage Scheme
This project is needed to stop untreated wastewater being discharged directly into Cork Harbour. Whitegate is the location of Ireland’s only oil refinery, while Aghada is a small fishing town.
The practice of discharging untreated wastewater to Cork Harbour is no longer acceptable and Irish Water intends to rectify this problem by constructing a new Wastewater Treatment Plant to ensure that wastewater discharging to the harbour meets appropriate discharge standards. The new Wastewater Treatment Plant will bring benefits to Whitegate-Aghada in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all. This project will stop the discharge of over 1,670 wheelie bins of raw sewage into the sea per day.
- The new wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) will bring benefits to Whitegate-Aghada in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all
- The new wastewater treatment plant will improve the water quality in the receiving waters by achieving the required discharge requirements as set out in the Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive
- Cleaner water will enhance the amenity value of the Whitegate-Aghada area and act as a platform for social and economic development, by protecting the local bathing waters and shellfish waters in the area
- The new pipes, pumping stations and the wastewater treatment plant have all been sized to accommodate an increase in the local population
- The project will assist with ensuring that the water quality standards set down by regulatory bodies will be achieved
- A new wastewater treatment plant at Ballytigeen, which will serve a population equivalent of approximately 2,500
- A 200m-long marine outfall pipeline to safely discharge treated wastewater to the sea near White Bay to the south west of Whitegate
- Construction of 1400m of new sewer pipelines and 3,500m of rising mains to transport untreated wastewater to the proposed new wastewater treatment plant
- Construction of 3 new below ground wastewater pumping stations near Rostellan Memorial Park, the pier in Lower Aghada and Main Street in Whitegate
- This project is currently in design and pre-planning stage