Westmeath Disinfection Programme
National Disinfection Programme
The National Disinfection Programme ensures Westmeath will continue to have safe and secure drinking water. We have been working with Westmeath County Council to complete a detailed assessment of the water treatment plants in Westmeath.
About this project
Veolia Limited is working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver the National Disinfection Project across the county. The Westmeath programme is now complete.
Disinfection systems at 2 plants at Ballaney and Athlone (Westmeath) have been upgraded and standardised.
What was involved
The programme involved assessing the condition and performance of all the sites. We then determined the disinfection systems needed to be upgraded.
Works at the plants included upgrades to the:
- Chemical storage and dosing infrastructure
- Chlorine contact time provision systems
- Disinfection systems using Ultra Violet (UV) barriers where required
- Monitoring instrumentation systems
- Control, telemetry and automation processes
The upgrade works carried out as part of this project has:
- Improved the security of drinking water for residents and businesses
- Improved disinfection systems and standards
- Future-proofed the security of supplies
- Provided improved control of the systems
- Ensured continued compliance with Drinking Water Quality Regulations