Tullamore and Birr Water Supply Schemes
Water Supply Project
€21.5 million investment in the Tullamore and Birr Water Supply Schemes will provide a safe and secure water supply to over 18,000 local residents and businesses.
Irish Water has awarded the contract for the design, construction and commissioning of water treatment plants and additional reservoirs for both the Birr and Tullamore Water Supply Schemes to Murphy Process Engineering Limited. Once completed the upgrade will secure the medium term future of the water supplies for 18,000 people in Tullamore & Birr and ensure both towns receive a reliable supply of high quality drinking water.
- Safe and secure water supply to over 18,000 local residents and businesses
- Improved drinking water quality
- Reduced disruptions to supply
- Water treatment plant at Ardan
- Groundwater sources at Ardan
- 2,500m³ treated water storage reservoir at Ardan
- Groundwater sources at Clonaslee
- Water treatment plant at Clonaslee, Co. Laois
- Camcor River abstraction and pumping infrastructure at Birr
- Water treatment plant at Birr
- 2,000m³ of treated water storage reservoir at Birr
Works on both water supply schemes are progressing well. The works are primarily located on lands acquired by Irish Water from local landowners with little impact on public roads. The project is expected to be completed in 2021.