Sligo Disinfection Programme
National Disinfection Programme
The National Disinfection Programme ensures Sligo will continue to have safe and secure drinking water. We have been working with Sligo County Council to complete a detailed assessment of the water treatment plants in Sligo.
About this project
Glan Agua Limited is working on behalf of Irish Water to deliver the National Disinfection Project across the county. The Sligo programme is now complete.
Disinfection systems at 3 plants have been upgraded and standardised.
These sites include: Lough Easkey Regional Water Supply, North Sligo Regional Water Supply and Heapstown Well / Riverstown Water Treatment Plant.
What was involved
The programme involved assessing the condition and performance of all the sites. We then determined the disinfection systems needed to be upgraded.
Works at the plants included upgrades to the:
- Chemical storage and dosing infrastructure
- Chlorine contact time provision systems
- Monitoring instrumentation systems
- Control, telemetry and automation processes
The upgrade works carried out as part of this project has:
- Improved the security of drinking water for residents and businesses
- Improved disinfection systems and standards
- Future-proofed the security of supplies
- Provided improved control of the systems
- Ensured continued compliance with Drinking Water Quality Regulations