Roscommon Main Drainage Scheme
Irish Water is progressing works to upgrade the sewer network in Roscommon Town.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Roscommon County Council, has commenced works on the Roscommon Main Drainage Scheme project to safeguard the environment and provide for future growth and development in the town. This project represents a further step in the continued delivery of improvements to the wastewater network in Roscommon.
When completed, the €20 million project will reduce the risk of sewer flooding in Roscommon Town and improve water quality in the River Jiggy and River Hind. It will also increase the capacity of the sewer network, providing a platform for future population growth and economic development.
Look-ahead for upcoming works in Roscommon
|Location||Proposed Dates||Duration||Planned Works||Traffic Management|
|Circular Road (night works)||Ongoing||4 weeks||Pipe laying – Mart Roundabout to Lanesborough Roundabout||Night works -ongoing traffic management in place|
|Antogher Road (Public Section)||09 August to 15 October 2021||9 weeks||Pipe laying||Road closure / traffic will be diverted via Golf Links Road (L1812) and N63 / see works location and diversion map below|
|Mart Road (Night Works)||6th September - 20th September 2021||2 weeks||Pipe laying||Traffic light system in place|
|Ballingard outlying pumping station||6th September - 1st November 2021||8 weeks||Excavation and associated temporary works to enable the permanent works to be built|
|Castlerea Road outlying pumping station||6th September -10th September 2021||5 days||Relocation of ESB services.|
|Mart Road (Day Works)||13th September - 4th October 2021||4 weeks||Pipe laying||Temporary traffic system in place|
|Golf Links Road||13th September - 29th October 2021||7 weeks||Pipe laying||Road closure / Traffic will be diverted via Ardsallagh Woods Road (L7055) and N61 / see works location and diversion map below|
- Advanced traffic management warning signage will be in place and shared to AA Road Watch.
- Working areas will be kept to a minimum to minimise traffic congestion.
- Local and emergency access will always be maintained.
- VMS boards will be in place to advise motorists and the public of the works.
These works will be carried out in phases and limited to short sections to reduce impact to businesses and residents. All residents, businesses and Roscommon County Council have been communicated with in relation to the works. We apologise for any inconvenience that these essential works may cause.
A Liaison Officer from GMC Utilities Group and Resident Engineering staff from Irish Water will also be available during the project to to address and queries or concerns in relation to the works.
The project team can be contacted using the details below.
Phone: 0818 462 400
Upon completion the project will:
- Reduce the risk of sewers flooding;
- Enhance the water quality in the Jiggy and Hind rivers;
- Improve sewer capacity to facilitate economic development; and
- Ensure compliance with the Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive.
This project will include the following works including:
- Installation of 7.2km of new higher capacity sewers and rising mains;
- Upgrade of six existing storm water overflows and decommissioning a further six;
- Construction of a new inlet pumping station, balancing tank and storm water holding tank at the existing Wastewater Treatment Plant; and
- New /Upgraded pumping stations with stormwater storage at Circular Rd, Castlerea Rd, Ardsallagh, Ballinagard.