Portlaoise Water Main Replacement - Saint Brigid’s Place
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Laois County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Portlaoise, Co Laois to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
The programme to replace the water mains in Portlaoise, Co Laois will commence on March 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The section of works will take place on Saint Brigid’s Place and Parkview, Portlaoise. The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Ward & Burke Construction Ltd. and are expected to be completed by May 2019.
A reliable water supply
- Replacing the ageing water mains and service connections and will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages on Patricks Street and Chapel Avenue and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
Improved water quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network and replacing them with new pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
- Replacing the old water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved operation and maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of over 344 metres of aged cast iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work